Farm Crew Job Description
Marr Pond Farm is hiring farm part-time and full-time crew members who have an enthusiasm and genuine interest in learning about organic farming, a strong work ethic and desire to take pride in their work, and the adaptability to take on a wide array of responsibilities over the course of the season. Crew members will work both in groups and independently (after training) on all day-to-day operations of the farm.
The position includes, but is not limited to:
• Seed starting and plant propagation
• Harvesting, washing, and packing vegetables and mushrooms
• Utilizing farm trucks to accomplish assigned tasks
• Maintaining safe food handling practices as outlined by the farm
• Cleaning crates and harvest buckets
• Greenhouse watering
• Mushroom log inoculation and mushroom yard maintenance
• Transplanting and fertilizing
• Cultivation and hand weeding
• Field maintenance (trellising, laying and removing row cover, etc.)
• Record keeping
• Basic farm maintenance
• Assist in scouting for pest and disease issues
Some interested candidates may also work harvesting, processing, and arranging flowers, attending farmers markets, or attending CSA distributions. All employees are expected to attend at least one farmers market a season. Our farmers markets have continued throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, and we often receive positive customer feedback for how safely we managed our stand throughout the season. It is our expectation that all employees take COVID-19 seriously, in their personal and professional lives.
We will begin bringing crew members on in April and May, and end the season between late October and Thanksgiving. Depending of folks availability we may be hiring for one position that starts in June or July. Start and end dates will be agreed upon when hired.
Preference is given to applicants who can work the whole season, but we will consider applicants that can work a minimum of 2 months.
The right person for this job will be:
• Able to maintain a positive attitude in a fast paced work environment
• View physical labor in a positive light, and enjoy pushing themselves through challenging physical tasks
• Able to see the humor in work and life, and laugh accordingly
• An efficient worker with a natural sense of urgency about their tasks
• Passionate about good food and have an interest in organic farming
• Self-motivated and self-aware
• Dependable and have access to reliable transportation
• Willing and able to accept feedback gracefully, and adapt accordingly
• Eager to learn
• Comfortable working both in groups and independently
• A problem solver
• Detail oriented and observant
• Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions
• Able to lift and carry 50 lbs, stand for extended periods of time, and crouch or bend over for extended periods of time. We do many things by hand and this job can be very physical.
• Comfortable around dogs (enthusiastically appreciative of dogs preferred :-D)
• Farming experience is preferred, but not necessary. Applicants without farming experience should be prepared to explain how their work or life history has prepared them for the rigors of farm work.
• Experience with physical or outdoor work, or work in fast paced environments is strongly preferred.
• A basic familiarity with plants or gardening experience is helpful.
• A valid driver’s license is strongly preferred, and the ability to drive a standard vehicle is preferred but not required.
• Experience with basic tools, basic carpentry, and a handy problem solving aptitude is helpful.
Starting pay is $12.50-$15, depending on experience.
For more experienced candidates please note we are also hiring an Assistant Farm Manager. Email us if you’re interested in that position. (Note the Assistant Manager Position is filled for 2021)
All farm crew members have access to free vegetables for their own home use. Bulk vegetables may be available for food preservation at the discretion of the farmers.
Crew members receive up to 3 paid sick days, after the first month of employment.
Crew members who finish the season on their scheduled end-date will receive a bonus.
We do not offer housing but can assist applicants in finding housing locally if needed.
We do not provide health insurance but can provide resources to help sign up for the health insurance marketplace. We strongly encourage all employees to carry health insurance while farming.
We provide educational opportunities as they arise to interested employees, and maintain a wide collection of farming, gardening, permaculture, climate activism, and social justice books we’re happy to lend.
We are especially interested in applicants that are excited to become a long-term employee, as our farm continues to grow. Long-term employees are eligible for raises based on performance, responsibilities, and commitment. We are dedicated to sharing our knowledge and contributing to the education and growth of long-term employees, and will develop learning objectives over the winter months on a 1-on-1 basis with interested crew members.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received.
• Why do you want to work at Marr Pond Farm?
• How many hours a week would you -ideally- work?
• A resume or work history
• 3 references, at least 2 professional (note your relationship to each reference and provide a phone number and/or email address)